Romania will go into lockdown as of Wednesday, March 25th
President Klaus Iohannis has announced on Tuesday that Romania will go into lockdown, as of Wednesday, March 25th, due to the coronavirus pandemic. People will be allowed to leave the house only to go to work or to buy food. Moreover, the authorities have decided to employ the Army in order to boost the public order forces. A new restriction is aimed at people older than 65, who will „virtually have to stay at home all the time,” the president said. „These restrictions will be put into a military decree that will be ready by the end of this day, and will come into effect tomorrow,” Klaus Iohannis also said.
More than 760 cases of coronavirus infections and eight deaths reported in Romania
Official figures show that 762 people are currently infected with the new coronavirus in Romania. The authorities announced 186 new cases on Tuesday. So far there have been eight deaths, and out of 16 patients admitted to intensive care, six are in a serious condition. 79 people were cured and were discharged. More than 5,500 people are quarantined, another 84,000 are isolated at home. Police has opened 154 criminal files for people accused of thwarting efforts to prevent disease control. At the same time, police issued more 900 contraventional sanctions for people who failed to observe the isolation or quarantine measures.
Prime Minister Ludovic Orban tested negative for coronavirus
Prime Minister Ludovic Orban and members of the Government have received the test result for the new coronavirus. They all tested negative. As a result, the prime minister has finished the 14-day isolation regime and will resume his activity at Victoria Palace. Other members of the Government who have also been in isolation will follow suit.